Sunday, May 12, 2013

Taper Time

"Put simply, tapering is the gradual reduction of training intensity and duration as you edge forever closer to race day. It is a necessary aspect of endurance training and it starts in the last few weeks before the big day."

Well executed tapers can:
  • bolster muscle power
  • increase muscle glycogen and muscle repair
  • freshen the mind
  • fine-tune the neural network so that it’s working most efficiently
  • eliminate the risk of overtraining where it could slow the athlete down the most
  • increase a runner’s performance (Studies have indicated that a taper can help runners improve 6 to 20%)


I am feeling pretty exhausted from my trainig so I am looking forward to my taper time; however, some people can enter into "taper madness" (like my hubbie) so there is a possibility of a bit of craziness to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment